Javascript

Wednesday 10 July 2013

Interview #25 - Sarah Melvin

Hey Sarah, how're things? All set to fly next week?
Hey Hogi, things are great thanks. Hope all is well in Germany! I'm getting there. Just organizing the last few bits.

Congrats on making the team way back in October! As this is your first time making an Irish squad tell us what it meant to you when you got the call? Is there any added pressure being the only UL representative?
Thanks. I honestly couldn't believe it when I got the call. Well I actually missed the call and got a text but still couldn't believe it. I only put my name forward for the sake if it because I was going to miss the trials being on Erasmus so it was a huge surprise. I don't think there is any added pressure to be honest. The only pressure I feel is the pressure I put on myself before games.


When and how did you get involved with Ultimate? 
I first started ultimate in my second year of college, so two years ago but its only since I have come back from Germany that I have really become completely involved in the sport. Jamie Chambers is the only reason I started to play. He literally would turn up at my house and bring me to trainings. I was very reluctant at the start but soon realized how great it was.

Before Ultimate you were involved with some other sports. What did you play? And at how high a level did you play?
I have tried a lot of sports but the main two before ultimate were hockey and basketball. I played hockey very seriously for about  5 years and was lucky enough to play for Connaught and to make onto an Irish Summer development squad where I got my first cap for Ireland. Basketball took over then towards college and in my first year I played on the UL Ladies Varsity team and with UL Club Division 1.

Do you still play any of these sports? Or are you purely focused on Ultimate?
No unfortunately these sports had to make way when I started ultimate. With so many trainings and tournaments I really don't have time for mush else.

This year you got some exposure to Ultimate outside of Ireland, playing at UK Mixed Tour and Windmill Windup. Had you played at either of these events, or other foreign events, before?
No I had never played outside of Ireland before so both those tournaments were amazing experienced for me. UK Mixed Tour in particular because it was my first time playing with the team. Sadly I couldn't play windmill due to injury but it was still a great tournament for the team and an great experience.


Are there any standout highlights for you, personally, and the team so far this season?
I don't think I have any personal highlights. Hopefully they will come in Toronto. With the team for me I think it has to be the game against Stockholm Syndrome at Windmill. Everything seemed to work and we really showed how strong of a team we are. 


Looking ahead to Toronto, there are 10 teams in the Mixed division and some people are speculating that it will be a round robin format followed by placement games. How do you think this would suit the team?
I think what ever way they decide to format the games we will be ready for it. The round robin format would be cool though because we would get to play all the teams. 


With the possibility of playing everyone in the division on the cards, are there some teams that you look forward to playing more than others?
To be honest as I have never played against another national team I can't really say who I would like to play a particular team more. It will just be great to play against all the different styles that these teams will have. 


One of the Irish Ultimate public asks: If you could take one of the Irish U23 Open team and have him play Mixed, who would it be?
I think the team we have was selected for a reason and we have gelled really well. So I am very happy with the team and can't say who else I would take really. 

Similarly, if you had to take someone from the Mixed O line to play D line, who would you take?
I would probably take Caitlin. She is a fantastic player and I think it would be a wise choice to take a girl considering my injury rate ha

Lastly, tell us a joke.
Did you hear about the magic tractor? 

It drove down the lane and turned into a field 

Classic Irish banter about farming... Thanks for your time, Sarah. Best of luck in Toronto!
Cheers Hogi! Same to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment